login   |    register
Pre-Flight Check
Constructive critique of your finished or in-progress photos.
Hosted by Kevin Brant
Sweet Model 1:144 SH-3G Sea King
marcopreto
Visit this Community
Portugal
Joined: October 17, 2008
KitMaker: 50 posts
P47 Heaven: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 11, 2018 - 10:28 AM UTC
Quick update:
After a few coats of white, all decals went on perfectly. Sweet decals and Mr Decal Softener are a perfect combination.





I hope to post more soon.

Cheers

Marco Preto
http://mpminiatures.wordpress.com
LowFiveJoe_2
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Joined: December 28, 2017
KitMaker: 23 posts
P47 Heaven: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 06, 2018 - 01:04 AM UTC
Marco, glad to see you back at it. Looks great.
magnusf
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Joined: May 02, 2006
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
P47 Heaven: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 04, 2018 - 11:31 PM UTC
Marco! Just my kind of build, fantastic detail work! I look forward to see this one with a bit of paint on.

It's on my "to buy list" but I am not sure if I dare after seeing your work !



Magnus
marcopreto
Visit this Community
Portugal
Joined: October 17, 2008
KitMaker: 50 posts
P47 Heaven: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 04, 2018 - 11:00 PM UTC
After a few months away from this model, here are a few photos of the small progress done this last weekend.

The winch was completed, using plastic card and copper wire (besides the main turned brass part I have previously shown).


The main rotor was also detailed, scratch building the rotor hub.




And here is a photo of the model with the wheels, tail and main rotor dry fitted.


I hope to post more soon.

Cheers

Marco Preto
http://mpminiatures.wordpress.com
marcopreto
Visit this Community
Portugal
Joined: October 17, 2008
KitMaker: 50 posts
P47 Heaven: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 22, 2018 - 10:21 PM UTC
Well, I could not get away from the idea of opening the fuselage windows!
They were marked with a pencil and carved out, replacing them with items cut from 0.5mm clear plastic.












Primer was applied to check for imperfections and cover the clear parts (from inside they will show black color. The radar/sensor on the cockpit front was turned from brass rod.



The winch is also being scratchbuilt (I still need to build the support). The photo shows the comparison between the kit's part and the part I've turned and machined from brass rod. I will make a post (in a couple of weeks, if I manage) on my blog detailing the winch construction.


I hope to post more soon.

Cheers

Marco Preto
http://mpminiatures.wordpress.com
marcopreto
Visit this Community
Portugal
Joined: October 17, 2008
KitMaker: 50 posts
P47 Heaven: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 12, 2018 - 09:54 PM UTC
Here's a quick update. The main landing gears are being slightly improved (original part can be seen on the right).


The main gear is mostly built from plastic rod and plastic card. The wheels are the ones included in the kit, after removing them from the original part and turning them in order to make them circular and concentric with the wheel hub.

I'll try to post a step-by-step of the process in my blog, during this weekend.

Cheers

Marco Preto
http://mpminiatures.wordpress.com
WIggus
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
Joined: July 07, 2017
KitMaker: 61 posts
P47 Heaven: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 11, 2018 - 02:20 AM UTC
Wow! That detail on the rotor is amazing.
I know nothing about helicopters, so I'll be watching this build anxiously.
Thanks for sharing.
marcopreto
Visit this Community
Portugal
Joined: October 17, 2008
KitMaker: 50 posts
P47 Heaven: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 10, 2018 - 05:36 AM UTC
Here are a few photos of the early stages of construction of the model presently at the modeling bench.
It's a Sea King, produced by Sweet Model. It is a very nice model, but the winch is not that great (compared with the rest of the model).
So with that in mind I also decided to detail some other bits!

The fuselage was glued together with little problem.




The exhausts were drilled out and a brass tube was glued in an angle.




The tail rotor was detailed using the blades from the 6bladed rotor (also included in the kit) and a scratch built hub (using brass rod and pe leftovers). The kit's tail rotor is shown on the right.


I hope to post more soon.

Cheers

Marco Preto
http://mpminiatures.wordpress.com